Trevor Brown
March/2/17
Mrs. Frampton
4th period


Swipe File #5

When you experience a situation, you pick up more than just its sights. By describing sounds, scents, tastes and sensations, you’ll immerse readers in your story’s world.
The following scene from Saladin Ahmed’s “Hooves and the Hovel of Abdel Jameela” does a wonderful job of pulling the reader into the story by using senses other than sight.
Her voice is more beautiful than any woman’s. And there is the powerful smell of jasmine and clove. A nightingale sings perfumed words at me while my mind’s eye burns with horrors that would make the Almighty turn away.

I really want to work on my writing styles and incorporate new styles into my writing. I've found that I tend to write the same style over and over again.


Comments

pat said…
Good reminders.

I once had an editor question me, "Why do you try to sound smart?"

Embarrassing!!!

Popular posts from this blog

I THOUGHT THEY FORECASTED BRAINSTORMS!

GET THE BALL ROLLING