Some people might be thinking that they won't be able to do this novel writing month. Some people might even think that their work is not worth it. They might think that it's just bad and they couldn't possibly make it to their goal. Some people think they can get away with robbing the world of the precious creativity that it needs to thrive. Those people are victims of the writing devil. Don't listen to him, he doesn't want your creativity to be fed to the world. Oh, so that's why there's no life on the moon. The earth eats it all! Even if you don't have those thoughts yet, you will soon. It's just how it works, life, I mean. If you listen to the writing devil, you will get a case of writers block so bad this will happen: Not even a single cloud of thought. It's depressing. By the way, downloading google docs to my phone is one of the best decisions (writing wise) I have ever made. I can write on the way to and from school. I'M MO...
Today I sat down with incredible intent to write The Next Great American Novel (ha!) and sort of chose a favorite scene at random to begin. I've been plugging away for a couple hours now, and it's not at all as painful as I thought it might be before. This thoroughly reinforces my belief in Newton's First Law of Motion, which states, "an object at rest stays at rest, and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." I would have remained at rest and never written a single word had I not been forced to. The key is just to start. And this concept doesn't apply just to the very beginning of a big project, but each and every day. Most days I'm at rest on Pinterest or on Youtube, and the unbalanced force that gets me into motion is the external motivation of my grade. Not always, but most days. Here's my favorite passage written so far. Enjoy! ----------------------- ...
Comments